Falling in love is a rush of chemicals and feelings all exploding in your brain and your body at once! The initial chemistry can last for a few days or forever, depending on how the couple works to keep the excitement and love alive in their marriage. So many couples put in the effort to make their relationship last, even when the passion fades, creating a wonderful, stable life together.
These are our nine top tips on how to rekindle a marriage after 25 years:
- Pay attention
- Appreciate and love him
- Thank him for the little things
- Be kind to each other
- Take care of yourself
- Make him notice you
- Book romantic dates
- Get to know each other again
- Dance and laugh together
Building a happy life together and raising a family generally happens to any couple after the rush of courtship and the wedding is over and life settles down. Of course, passion could be a big part of the relationship, but generally, your feelings deepen over the years, and you develop a genuine true love for your partner.
9 Top Tips On How To Rekindle A Marriage After 25 Years.
A few years down the line, and all of a sudden, life creeps up, bites you on the butt, and informs you that you have been married, to the same person, for 25 years! WOW! How did that happen? The children have all left home, and now it’s just the two of you once more.
You have had a wonderful life with your partner and feel a deep, satisfying love for him, but now that your life is not so busy anymore, you feel that it’s time to rekindle your marriage! But how do you even begin to rekindle romantic feelings after so many years?
We will show you how! Simply follow some of these tips to rekindle your marriage after 25 years.
- Pay attention to your partner and find out what matters to him.
- Appreciate your partner and remind him that you love him.
- Thank him for the little things.
- Be kind to each other.
- Take care of yourself and dress up a little every day.
- Make him notice you!
- Book romantic date nights and vacations.
- Take the time that you need to get to know each other again.
- Dance together and laugh together!
Does Love Fade After Marriage?
We have all heard the stories that marriage only lasts for seven years, and then the “7-year itch” sets in, couples start to look outside the marriage for excitement, and eventually, the marriage collapses. But is this correct? Is there such a syndrome, or is it something that someone invented?
Studies have shown that passionate love fades over time, but companionate love can endure forever. Does this mean that we will never again experience the dopamine rush of falling in love? Not necessarily. Choosing to stay with your partner and appreciate him daily produces different chemical reactions in the brain.
So, when we hear about “love fading,” the term is referring to passionate love. Companionate love grows over time, and with it, the anticipation for satisfaction through a lifelong love fires up oxytocin circuits in your brain and causes your relationship to thrive.
The “love fading” stage is often referred to as the “falling out of romantic love” stage and generally happens a few years into a relationship. This is almost a re-evaluation phase when some people decide that they have made a mistake and move on. For others, this phase is the start of a lifetime of love and commitment.
How To Bring Back Romance In A Marriage
Intimacy in a marriage is often the first thing to disappear once the mundane everyday life sets in. But unfortunately, the lack of romance and intimacy can lead to resentment and infidelity so, it’s time to get back on track and rekindle those lost feelings of intimacy and also rekindle the romance in your relationship!
Put your own ego aside and work on your intimacy with your partner. Don’t expect him to put in the work on your relationship if you don’t – this is not a competition; you are on the same side and are both invested in getting your relationship back on track!
Here’s how to bring romance back into your marriage:
- Look after yourself. Dress up for each other, even if it’s for an at-home dinner date.
- Prioritize time for each other and nurture your relationship.
- Reminisce and remember the fun times that you had together. Nostalgia is a great way to bring romance back into your relationship.
- Surprise each other with small gifts. Then, court each other like you did in the beginning!
- Whisper sweet nothings in his ear; it really works!
- Kiss more! Holding hands will also work! Take your time and enjoy each other.
- Plan intimacy and mix things up in the bedroom!
Why Reigniting Your Love Is Important
After the passion has faded in the marriage and companionate love settles in, keeping the excitement alive in your relationship is vital. Dopamine is triggered in your brain by doing something new, which is why we feel such a thrill at the start of a new relationship.
So, by doing anything new with your partner, you will feel the rush of dopamine not only from the experience of something new and exciting but also by experiencing the thrill with your partner! While making time for romance does have its place in any relationship, being friends and enjoying life together is just as important, especially after a long-term relationship.
Any relationship should have its fun times along with the hard times, but being in a stable, long-term relationship often means working a little harder on the romantic side of the relationship. Once you start to notice your partner romantically again, you will be surprised at the feelings rekindled in your heart as you remember how your relationship was in the beginning.
This is the person you fell in love with and chose to spend the rest of your life with, so enjoy what you have now!
Companionate love does have its benefits. By attempting one of the below activities together with your partner, you will keep the relationship alive and exciting and feel the rush of dopamine once again as the spark returns to your relationship:
- Schedule a regular date night every week to keep the romance alive!
- Eat at a restaurant serving cuisine that you have not experienced before.
- Do something exciting – skydiving, diving, horseback riding, something new for both of you – find time to play and have fun!
- Exercise together. Getting fit together can do wonders for your relationship.
- Take regular vacations. Even a hiking weekend break for the two of you will do!
- Get physical, not just in the bedroom! Hold hands, whisper to each other, hug, and kiss more.
- Get adventurous in the bedroom, with permission, of course!
A long-lasting healthy relationship is achievable if you put in the effort to make it work. Two people can remain in a loving, healthy relationship, even when the daily passion fades and is replaced by an enduring love.
Romance is always vital in any relationship, but it is just as important to like the person that you have chosen to go through the rest of your life and be best friends with.
Getting to know your partner again and rekindling the spark you once had but may have lost over many years of marriage can be a fun and exciting experience! So take the time to get to know one another again and have a wonderful life!