Do you feel like you lack confidence? Are you constantly bombarded with negative thoughts about yourself? Then this article will list some of the best tips that will help you overcome your lack of confidence.
To overcome your lack of confidence, try the following:
- Choose your friends wisely.
- Be happy with who you are.
- Turn off your negative inner voice.
- Use positive affirmations.
- Ask more questions at work.
Are you ready to see how these tips will help you hit the acceleration pedal on your confidence levels? Then check out the breakdown of these steps mentioned below.
This is How You Should Overcome Your Lack of Confidence
Overcoming a lack of confidence is more than just pretending to be confident on the outside. It is about truly feeling confident, being ambitious, and reaching for your goals.
The following suggestions will help you to feel more confident at work and in everyday life. Make sure you check them out.
– Choose Your Friends Wisely
Your friends can have a massive impact on your confidence.
Do your friends put you down? Do they pressure you to do things you don’t want to? Do they often gloat about their abilities? If so, then these friends may be part of the reason why you are finding it so difficult to feel confident.
Of course, you cannot choose all your associates. You may be forced to spend time with people who affect your confidence in a negative way. This could be with your associates at work or even when amongst your family members. But you should try your best to choose your friends wisely in the environments that you can control.
These would include:
- The friends you spend time with on the weekends and evenings.
- The friends you choose to go on vacation with.
- The friends you follow on social media.
Your closest friends should be the ones that make you feel comfortable just the way you are. They should encourage you to reach your goals and be happy for you when you achieve them. They should be good listeners and lend a hearing ear when necessary.
If you have a good set of friends backing you, you will feel more confident to reach out for new ventures. Being amongst good friends also reminds you that you are worthy of having good things in your life.
– Be Happy With Who You Are
How comfortable you feel in your skin will also determine how confident you are. So when you look in the mirror, ask yourself: do you love the person you see?
For you to feel confident, you have to believe in yourself and love the person you are, just the way you are. Otherwise, your confidence will not shine from the inside out.
To boost your confidence and feel happier about who you are, try the following exercise:
- Look in the mirror and list 3 things that you love about your appearance.
- Think about why you love those 3 things.
- Write down one thing about your body that others envy you for.
- Write down two of your features that make you unique.
- Think about what makes these two features unique.
– Turn Off Your Negative Inner Voice
Do you feel like your inner voice is working overtime? Does it often remind you of that embarrassing thing you did last week? Does it alert you for hours about the tiny mistakes you’ve made? Does it tell you when it thinks people are talking about you or scrutinizing your every move?
Did you answer positively to one or more of the questions above? Then it may be time for you to turn the volume down on your inner voice. An inner voice that criticizes you and reminds you of your failings will work to destroy your confidence.
So what can you do to change the tune of your inner voice?
Take a look at the following tips:
- Remember that people don’t hold onto information about everything you say and do. You may have felt like you slipped up big time last week at work. You probably thought that what you said was bad enough to damage your reputation for life. But the truth is, the only person that is truly paying attention to everything you say, is you.
- Bear in mind that people are not watching and studying your every move. Although it may feel like all eyes are on you 24/7, that is likely not the case.
- Don’t forget that everyone makes mistakes. Although it may seem like everyone gets their jobs done perfectly, that could be because no one owns up to their mistakes as you do. Or perhaps others are better at covering up their mistakes. But there is no one earth that does their job perfectly!
– Use Positive Affirmations.
Positive affirmations are a great method for increasing self-confidence. The awesome thing about positive affirmations is that you can get real specific with them. The more specific you are with your affirmations, the better they work.
Would you like to see some examples of positive affirmations? Then check out the suggestions mentioned below. These affirmations work to increase confidence in different areas. If you find an affirmation that you like, make sure you add it to your list. And if you can, alter it and tailor it personally to you.
Affirmations about friends and confidence:
- I am blessed to have an awesome family and friends.
- I only accept positive things in my life.
- I deserve the best.
Affirmations about your inner voice and confidence:
- I can do anything I want to do.
- I leave the past behind and focus on the present and my future.
- I will overcome any obstacle.
Affirmations about self-worth and confidence:
- I love myself, believe in myself, and will reach my goals.
- I choose to be happy and grateful for what I have.
- I am happy with who I am, just the way I am.
- Ask More Questions at Work
Ask more questions at work…seems like a strange one, right? You may be wondering how asking more questions will make you feel more confident.
To answer that question, let’s think about some of the things that happen when we don’t ask enough questions at work:
- We plow straight into a task without knowing everything we need to do. We end up overshooting the mark in some areas.
- Work isn’t delivered on time because we were unsure of what we needed to do. Maybe we didn’t understand the deadline.
- Our boss is disappointed in us, we let clients down and feel rotten.
Now all those consequences put a definite damper on self-confidence. Here’s why it’s good to ask questions at work:
- You can make sure you get the job done right, first time. You will be less likely to make mistakes.
- Getting a second opinion about a task could help you learn a better way of working. This will make you more efficient at work and could help you to progress faster.
How Does Lack of Confidence Affect You?
What effect does a lack of confidence have on your daily life, your social life, or even your career?
Take a look below:
A negative view of yourself can make you feel worthless. You create scenarios in your head where everyone is criticizing the things you say and do. You feel like you do not deserve to have good things in your life.
A lack of confidence can make it difficult for you to socialize well with others. It makes going out seem like something that is outside your comfort zone.
If you lack confidence, you will find your job draining. You may feel like it is taxing on your body because you are constantly trying to compete with others. You don’t want to take risks because you are afraid of failure. You don’t put yourself forward for anything so you never advance in your career.